Tuxford is a small market town located on the A1 approximately 8 miles south of Retford and 13 miles north of Newark.
Tuxford was recorded in the Domesday Survey in 1086 as ‘Tuxfarne’ and was known to be an established farming settlement at this time. For centuries the village economy relied on the land, not just for its fertile soil but for the provision of stone for building materials and clay for Tuxford’s two brickyards. In 1218 Tuxford was granted a market charter and in 1362 the College of Tuxford was granted a royal licence to found a rectory house linked to Newstead Abbey. In 1702 the village was destroyed by fire leaving little of the medieval village today. The subsequent rebuilding of Tuxford resulted in the numerous 18th century buildings in the town centre which are a reminder of Tuxford’s coaching past.
Tuxford was a major staging post in the 18th and 19th centuries. By the 19th century Tuxford had four railway stations, a locomotive works, a butter market, two windmills, maltings, law courts, boot makers, saddlers, rope makers, brick works, farmers, millwrights, blacksmiths, grocers, schools, cattle markets, hop fairs and a ‘lock up’. In the mid 20th century Tuxford expanded to house hundreds of people who came from other parts of the county and country to work at the nearby ‘super-pit’ coal mine. However, by the 1990’s this source of employment had disappeared with a consequent impact on the prosperity of the town. Today’s Tuxford has a population of around 2600 and acts as a major service centre to many surrounding smaller villages. It provides a variety of services including a doctor’s surgery, primary and secondary schools, a range of shops, fire station, two public houses, a CIU Working Mens’ Club, the post office and two large industrial estates.
Tuxford has its own Town Council which aims, in co-operation with Bassetlaw District and Nottinghamshire County Councils, to provide an excellent service to everyone who lives, works or visits Tuxford. Tuxford Town Council aims to ensure that Tuxford has a pleasant, clean and safe environment and is working hard to regenerate the town and its economy. The old centre of Tuxford has been designated as a conservation area since 1980.